My Made From Scratch Life

Food for a crowd, all made from scratch daily.

Latest Posts

2 years later...

By 3:03 PM

Well it has certainly been a while since I have attempted a blog post. Almost 2 years! 2 years ago I had an 18 month old and we had just started live in foster care work. Now I have a 3.5 year old and an 8 week old, and we will be moving from California to Papua New Guinea in September.

Life has certainly changed. I will certainly be learning to more things from scratch, on purpose, and all the time, not just for fun.

These beauties are homemade hand pies filled with peach jam. I used the "Foolproof Double Crust Pie Crust" From the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook, and substituted butter for the shortening I didn't have. Following the recipe as is gave me 10-12 hand pies depending on the thickness I rolled to. I used a heaping spoonful of jam per pie, smashed the edges together with a fork, and baked for about 25 minutes at 350.


"Guideline" for my Peach jam, without pectin, best made when peaches are dirt cheap and you bought 40lbs because you could. mmmmmm. Peel and core a giant pot full of peaches. Add a lot of sugar. I probably used 6-7 cups of sugar (or more?) to 6 quarts of chopped peaches in an 8 quart stock pot. Simmer it down stirring regularly until it is nice and thick and the house smells wonderful. Then can according to standard processing times for your canning method. Save the pits and peels for peach jelly!

You Might Also Like

0 comments